Sunday, February 13, 2022

Not Exactly Norse

 I've been working on finishing things this week as I have an upcoming Norse themed event I want to attend. The more I research, the more I feel like there's no way to actually know for certain what a 9th or 10th century person might wear. It's easy to say "t-tunics and trews" but there's so many area and gender specific flourishes that I get bogged down. The fact that very little of the original items have survived is also majorly frustrating. My understanding is that many of the surviving pieces are wool, lined with linen or wool, trimmed with bands of silk. All of that is extremely warm in Texas.

In an effort to actually cover myself before the event, I threw research to the winds and decided to make an SCA standard apron dress. The place I'm going has a theme of blue and white, so I figured blue apron, white underdress, no problems.  Of course there were problems. I have no blue wool at all. I pulled every piece of blue linen I own off the shelves and none of them were large enough to make an apron dress, even when I decided to go for the knee-length version ( not historically supported). Eventually I rummaged the mending pile and pulled out a partially finished cotton/ linen skirt. If I seamed it carefully, it would work as a slightly odd apron dress. 

I did some figuring, and flipping, draping the fabric around me and pinning it into shape. Then I had my partner take some pictures of me from a distance so I could see how it would hang. Because of the strange patches in the skirt, I wound up having three triangular gores at the back of the apron dress, and two on each side. This put a seam directly down the middle of the front, unlike any apron dress I've ever seen, but it didn't look too bad.

Oh those old seams though! This poor old bit of fabric has been hard used. Back when I had been in the SCA for a handful of years I found a Wal-mart that was closing down it's fabric section, selling everything at a steep discount. I was super poor but they sold me a bolt of cotton/linen for about $2 a yard and I was so excited. My first period fabric! um...maybe. That fabric is probably more cotton then anything, the only linen quality it has is the ability to wrinkle if you look at it too hard and to fray in a gentle breeze. Over the years I've made tunics, over dresses, pants, and bags from that single bolt. At this point, all that's intact is this bit in the mending pile that had been on the way to becoming a skirt before I figured out there wasn't enough fabric left. The oldest seams were sewn by hand in black quilting thread, the newest ones sewn by machine in a sort of gray. I hand sewed the newest seams and flattened them, tucking the edges under and securing them with a whipstitch. I used a thread that matched the fabric pretty well, I couldn't see it on either side of the fabric.

Outside of apron dress

Inside of apron dress





Then, I added a strip of handwoven trim. This isn't a fancy trim, but it was also one of the first ones I ever made. It's been kicking around for over 10 years waiting on me to find a good project for it. This is a real historical piece, but only in my own history.

Finally, I added straps and put it up on my dress form, Janey, to see how it looked altogether.


I haven't had a chance to wear it, but I don't think it'll be too bad. I do have broaches and a really nice festoon to wear with it. I don't currently have a belt that will work, but I'm hoping to figure out the 12 strand flat braid belt before next week (HA!).

I still haven't finished the saffron color underdress, so I'll wear one of my older white ones. It's a heavier weight linen with a small amount of chain stitch embroidery around the collar and cuffs. If I get frustrated with the dress again, I might just lay out and frame up a fancy collar on an embroidery frame.

I did also finish up my very first pair of stranded colorwork mittens as well. These are in no way historical, but I liked them and thought they were cute. I did the first one very quickly, but the second one sat while I played with other projects. When I picked it back up, I wasn't exactly sure where I was in the pattern, which is why they aren't identical. They are fraternal twin mittens we'll say.

Pattern is Owl in Forest on Ravelry

Considering how random the weather is this year, I might be wearing them to the event anyway. 

I started knitting a new cardigan as well. This is Eirwen over on Knitty.com. I've never done a cardi before, but I feel a great need for this one. It's knit from the top down so hopefully I'll be able to see how it's going to fit as I'm working on it. I've already had to switch to a smaller needle size then what's recommended to get gauge, which seems rather odd to me. I want my gold star for swatching though! I did actually swatch, twice! Perhaps next week, I'll have enough to show you, right now I'm only on row 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment